Suspend/hibernate on systems that don't suspend/resume or hibernate properly

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 20:52:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 11:41 -0700, Michael Knepher wrote:
> I've tried following the debate over the change to suspend as the
> visible and default way of managing power, but have not been able to
> find any resolution of whether the default is expected to remain so on
> systems that do not either suspend or resume properly or if this is up
> to the distributions to handle.

Neither, really: it's the default, and if it doesn't work, the idea is
that we fix that (the failure to suspend). Both GNOME and Fedora are not
big fans of giant manually-updated blacklists due to previous
experience.

> My understanding is that gnome 3 default is to suspend, then hibernate
> after a certain period of time.

I don't think it does this (hybrid suspend), it just suspends.

>  While I don't think this is necessarily
> the wrong choice, it currently does not work on my laptop, which does
> not fully resume after a suspend, and for which hibernate is completely
> broken. Now, with gnome-tweak-tool, I can at least change the settings
> for closing the lid, but when I want to power off from the user menu, I
> still need to press Alt to get that option.
>
> Will Fedora 15 attempt to recognize systems that are known not to
> support the default behavior?

AFAIK no, that would require a big ugly blacklist and manpower to
maintain it. Is there a bug filed on the failure to suspend correctly?

> And/or is there a way (through gsettings I
> guess it would be?) for users to change this so we don't have to press
> Alt every time?

Not sure about this...