Gnome shell corruption

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Apr 8 16:02:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 17:53 +0200, Massimo Gengarelli wrote:

> I'm almost sure it's not a Fedora's bug because I'm running Gnome Shell
> successfully on my Asus EeePC 1000H (which has a i915 Intel video card,
> capable of running OpenGL 1.4+).

The logic here is:

* Card A / Driver B is capable of OpenGL 1.3
* Card X / Driver Y is capable of OpenGL 1.4
* GNOME Shell runs well on Card X / Driver Y
* GNOME Shell runs badly on Card A / Driver B
* Therefore, GNOME Shell must run well with OpenGL 1.4 and badly with
OpenGL 1.3!

The reason this is a fallacy is that you haven't established that the
level of OpenGL support is the *only* difference between the
configurations in question, and it certainly isn't. There are all sorts
of others. As Ajax says, it's likely not to do with the exact level of
OpenGL support available, it's more likely just a bug in the problematic
hardware / driver combo.