Release Criteria for image sizes

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Sat Apr 9 14:59:43 UTC 2011

Bruno Wolff III <bruno <at> wolff.to> writes:

> Should there be release criteria for image sizes? Would we block the release
> because the the install image was larger than 4 GiB (which would effect
> downloads) or 4.7 GB (which would prevent it from being put on many DVDs)?
> Would we block because a CD sized live Desktop or live KDE image was over
> size?
>
> Recently there was an issue where a late change bumped the KDE image over
> CD size and then there was an even later reversion just before the freeze
> to get it undersize again, that reminded me to look for release criteria for
> image sizes.
>
> My opinion is that for the Alpha and Beta release oversize images aren't
> that big of a deal, since they genrally won't impact testing significantly.
> I think for final it makes some sense to have a criteria for over size
> images, particularly for CD sized live images that are allowed to block
> the release for other issues.

The current criterion (which is an Alpha requirement on the install test matrix)
is at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Mediakit_ISO_Size

The sizes are basically those for fitting on the corresponding media. The
openSUSE download page

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/

shows DVD ISO sizes bigger than 4 GiB for a while now (at least as far back as
11.1).