some issues with 15 Beta RC2 Live Desktop CD

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 15:54:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 03:48 +0000, Andre Robatino wrote:
> 1) In the boot menu, there is a "Verify and Boot" option, but I didn't see any
> evidence of a verify being done. I know that the netinst install disc no longer
> has a mediacheck. Is this also true for live images? If a verify is being done,
> the user should know it. If not, the "Verify and Boot" menu item should be
> removed. I'll file a bug either way.
>
> 2) In attempting to test
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:TestCases/Install_Source_Live_Image in a VM
> (both VirtualBox and KVM) there are no desktop icons at all, so in particular
> it's impossible (or at least not obvious how) to install to hard drive. But
> booting it on bare metal, the desktop icons are there. Anyone else seeing this?

Erm, what? That doesn't sound right. Well, the fallback case sounds
right, but not the Shell case; Shell shouldn't have any desktop icons.
What's meant to be there is that the 'install to hard disk' link is in
the Shell's dock-thing. On fallback mode, the 'easiest' way to find it
is in the menus under System Tools, I think - yeah, this isn't perfect.
It's intended that fallback doesn't have desktop icons.

> 3) Using gnome-session-properties to automatically remember running applications
> when logging out works fine in fallback mode (at least in VirtualBox). But
> booting on bare metal, with gnome shell, after logging out and back in, I can
> only see the application(s) in the first workspace, but nothing else. No top
> panel bar, the Super key doesn't work, no way to switch workspaces, so the only
> escape is to restart the X server, and when logging back in the same thing
> happens. Is this supposed to work in gnome shell (as opposed to fallback)?

No, obviously. Doesn't happen to me though, I have a ton of stuff
running on startup and it's fine. Look in ~/.xsession-errors for some
errors from the Shell, maybe.