nvidia/nouveau problems

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Apr 20 17:23:23 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:00:19PM -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:14, Per Bothner <per at bothner.com> wrote:
>
> > I did try hard to get a laptop with just integrated graphics, but they're
> > very hard to find, especially once you get to mid/upper-end with i7
> > quad-core
> > Sandy Bridge.  Most of them have nvidia/optimus.  A few have ATI, which
> > would
> > of course be my strong preference, but there are very few choices,
> > especially
> > if you want to avoid a glossy screen.
> >

> All of the ThinkPad line can meet these requirements and work out-of-the box
> with no proprietary bits.

A word of caution about the Thinkpad x120e with AMD E-350 Fusion
processor and integrated ATI graphics; I managed to get F15 running on
it this week, after missing some of the previous test days because I
couldn't boot into the provided LiveCDs (needed to use a minimal boot
image from 2011-04-13 to partition the hard drive), but suspend / resume
results in flaky graphics (need to log out and log back in again after
resuming to give X a kick) and the Realtek wifi card reports a strong
connection, even though it seems to be unable to transmit most of the
time (the logs show no connection drops).

I plan to file bug reports, just have precious little time at the moment
to pull the formal info together and I haven't found any smoking guns in
the logs to date.