Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 14:54:03 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> This is the case with pretty much any desktop. They're fundamentally
> sufficiently complex that you can either have very discoverable (but
> inefficient) or efficient (but not so discoverable), and all desktops
> I've ever seen end up being a mix of the two. The difference here is
> that some of these are _new_ and hence you have to learn stuff and
> everyone hates learning.

> You could try just learning a bit about it before writing it off
> forever.
> --

I think Gnome3 has the potential to work very well but it is new and
it is a learning curve. There are some things I would like to know
will get included - for example will there be some alternative themes
available at F15 release?  I would like to be able to change the style
of windows that open for applications - eg are there equivalents to
the nodoka or glider window decorations that have existed for some
time in Gnome2 ?

I have been testing the last available iso for the Gnome 3 test day in
the past evening or so - and it is certainly working much better than
a few weeks ago though there are still some bugs that remain and it is
not always fully stable yet - there is time before final GA though!

I am also still not clear on whether it is easy to create a launcher
for a program that is not in the system by default - for example if I
want to run a nightly build of Thunderbird, and I have the binary
available on the system, can I set up an icon that will be in the dash
to launch it in the analogous way to setting up a custom launcher in
Gnome2?

--
mike c