Fallback mode further hosed?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Apr 22 18:15:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:09:37 -0600,
  Jonathan Corbet <corbet-ft at lwn.net> wrote:
> Up until now, the fallback mode has preserved (to an approximation) my
> older panel setup - a single panel, not full width, on the bottom.  Today
> all that's gone; now I have two panels.  My launchers are gone, as is a
> fair amount of my vertical screen space.
>
> Is this deliberate?  If so, why?  It was tolerable before, now it's not.
> Is there any way to get my old setup back?

I am seeing the same thing you are (on F15), so I don't think it is a rawhide
only issue. If you find a solution I'd like to hear about it.

I can't change the preferences from the desktop. The launchers I had have
disappeared so I need to use the menu to run stuff. The user entry that
you are supposed to use to logout is missing. The screen saver lock is
also missing, though gnomescreen saver lock stopped working in fallback
before it disappeared.

I was eventually going to look at seeing if I could fix some of this with
gsettings, but I have had other stuff to work on as well and haven't
gotten to it yet.