Fallback mode further hosed?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 19:10:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:05:31 -0500, JDC wrote:

> I'm not a Fedora packager but I do read these mailing lists consistently and
> it's pretty clear from discussion in the past few weeks that the situation
> is--essentially--the following:
>
> In an ideal world, rawhide would be updated at the same time that F15 is.
> However, because some packagers and, indeed, entire teams are focused
> exclusively on the F15 branch, large sections of rawhide are months behind
> the packaged versions in F15 branch.

Exactly that ought not happen. Instead, Rawhide would typically move ahead
of the F-15 branch due to packagers dropping even newer stuff into
Rawhide [1], and then updates to F-15 branched no longer inherit from
Rawhide. Plus, _that_ bears a higher risk of breaking Rawhide at run-time
*and* build-time, requiring fixes for run-time issues *and* fixes for
build-time issues (such as rebuilds and further upgrades for broken deps
or other incompatibilities).

[1] And a single incompatible component in Rawhide already can cause
problems when building packages that would be in sync with F-15 branched.