Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 02:59:55 UTC 2011

Maybe we need fedora-gnome3 at redhat.com?

> It was stated that GNOME upstream, to use the Ford analogy, have eliminated
> the panel/menu/desktop-icon desktop metaphor from existence in Fedora 'by
> fiat'. I find that a pretty silly argument given the choices that are
> available.

Possibly a bad choice of terminology, but I stand by the specific point
I was making that Henry Ford did not make the decision to eliminate
horse-powered transport; he provided an alternative that the people/
market/whatever ultimately found to be superior.

In the case of GNOME, the developers of that project have made a
decision that effectively removes the GNOME 2 interface as an option for
many users -- the vast majority of whom do not have the time and/or
skills to build and maintain a desktop environment.  We will never know
which interface would have been more successful in the FLOSS desktop
environment "market".  That's unfortunate, but it's also probably
inevitable in a world of limited resources.

The two situations are simply not the same,  and that's the only point I
was trying to make.