Well, I have tried systemd now ...

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Apr 26 20:22:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 04:02:13PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann (michal at harddata.com) said:
> > Well, Lennart says explicitely that with systemd and /usr mounted
> > on its own file system things like audio, or printing or plug'n'play
> > will not work and that he does not care as they were broken anyway.
> > Maybe in some of his warped universe as I can assure you that up and
> > including Fedora 14, and with /usr like the above, all these things
> > do work just fine.
>
> Essentially, you have to ensure that everything called during the
> boot cycle up until the point that /usr is mounted,

In Fedora 14 instead of weird excuses you run in /etc/init.d/udev-post

   /sbin/udevadm trigger --type=failed --action=add

Most likely ensuring that something of that sort is present in
an appropriate place of a boot sequence would solve the issue in
practice.

> So, then
> it's a cost-benefit ratio, and weigh that at against the usage case
> of separate /usr (which is.... ?)

I do not have statistics and you do not have them either.  I have
seen quite a few in various places.  So how much of such breakage
is ok?

   Michal