Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 02:26:23 UTC 2011

> On 04/28/2011 01:18 AM, John Morris wrote:
> > Well it is time to choose because the old default choice is dead.
> > Because GNOME3 bears almost no relation to GNOME2 so calling it an
> > 'upgrade' needs a magic marker taken to the dictionary first
>
> Depends on what you look at and your perspective.   Is Python 3 a
> upgrade?  Is Perl 6 a upgrade?  GTK 3.0 clearly is a incremental update
> to GTK 2.x and a lot of applications are just the same ones with minor
> changes.  Everything from Gedit to nautilus to Evolution and so on.
> GNOME Shell is certainly different as far as a UI goes but it is build
> on things like Clutter which have a clear GNOME basis to it.  The window
> manager is a port of Metacity to Clutter    You call it tablet oriented
> but I dont think the UI will  work well on a tablet and GNOME developers
> haven't targeted it towards tablets either.   If you want to use a
> different DE or WM, go ahead.  That is a different discussion from a
> distribution default.

Regardless, please bear in mind that test list is not where any decision
to change Fedora's default desktop would happen. I don't want to appear
to stomp on any useful/interesting discussion, but if anyone's actually
serious and not just venting, here, please consider the best way to
achieve your goals; posting here might be a good way to order your
thoughts and see who else agrees, but ultimately it's not the way to
start the process.