f15 start wired on boot?

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 16:39:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 10:21 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> Steven Stern wrote:
>
> > On 04/28/2011 08:42 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
> >> Trying f15beta in a VM.
> >>
> >> After install, I wanted to configure to start the wired ethernet at boot.
> >> Tried to use NM to do that, but didn't see any option for starting @boot.
> >>
> >> Manually edited network-scripts file, setting ONBOOT=true.  That did it.  But
> >> isn't there a more newb-friendly way?
> >>

> > If you checked "Available to all users", then it's started when the NM
> > daemon is started, before a user logs in.
> >

> No "Available to all users" here - this is kde, if that matters.  There is a
> 'system connection', but that gave me a strange error message when I checked it
> and tried to apply.

When performing an installation, you are given the option to setup
networking for the installer.  Those same options also apply for the
installed system.  So if you use networking during the installation, it
should also set it up for the installed system.  If you perform a
non-network install (DVD), and don't actively configure networking
during installation, your installed system will not automatically enable
networking.  You can manually enable networking on the installed system
using the preferred Network utility (nm-connection-editor in GNOME).

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Installation_Guide/sn-Netconfig-x86.html

Thanks,
James