Two more GNOME 3 observations

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 01:18:52 UTC 2011

I've been fiddling with my f15 beta partition again, trying to
use gnome-shell some more and have some additional observations:

There is a category of apps in the Applications menu called
"other". Virtually everything in there is something I'd put
in system tools. Network connections, Users, System services,
etc. They are all called "other", which is not where anyone
would look for thing like that. It probably explains why
I couldn't find the nm-connection-editor anywhere to define
a static IP.

I previously mentioned that on my 46" HDTV the giant bloated
icons don't look like much of anything till you back off
from the display a bit, but now that I've been trying to find
things, I notice the text for the descriptions under each
icon has the opposite problem: You have to get up right next
to the screen with a magnifying glass to read the spindly little
font.