lorax "treebuilder" branch for F16?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 21:48:35 UTC 2011

On 08/05/2011 04:02 PM, Will Woods wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 17:14 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
>>> I'd really like to see if we can get this switched over for F16 Beta;
>>> what do you all think?
>> I am all for it.
> So, who wants to try out some experimental installer images?
>
> I'm planning to build some F16Alpha images (and maybe respin F15 images)
> using the treebuilder branch of lorax. This branch builds installer
> images that are split into 2 parts (initrd.img and install.img), like
> F14 and earlier. It also uses dracut for the initrd.img, so we no longer
> have to maintain the old custom 'loader' initrd.img (which was the real
> goal of the change in F15).
>
> Memory requirements should be greatly reduced from the standard F15
> images (and somewhat lower than F14) - but we'll need to make new
> anaconda builds to prove that, since the memory check prevents us from
> running on systems with<768MB RAM. There's a lot of other changes too,
> which is why I want some help with testing.
>
> So:
> 1) If I can get images built locally, how should I build them for test
> consumption? (build in chroot/mock? what's the standard kickstart /
> pungi invocation? is there a standard build machine for test images?)
> 2) If I can get them build, where do I put the images where people can
> find them?

If these are live images I'm inn if I can sneak in  a proof of concept
package into one of those builds

It's an package that replaces the legacy sysv init script with native
systemd units and contains some boot up tweaking which should decrease
the boot up time for live images and since I need to test if changes
work correctly after install and or persistant storage usage it's no
additional work for me.

I'll will need a couple of hours max to create the package for the live
gnome desktop image along with cleaning up the current ks script for the
live desktop.

JBG