gnome-shell-extensions-alternative-status-menu installed by default?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 09:35:30 UTC 2011

On 08/08/2011 02:16 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:
> I'm considering filing a bug for gnome-shell-extensions-alternative-status-menu
> to be included in a default installation, considering that most users, including
> myself, seem to prefer having a "Power Off..." option (without having to use the
> Alt key), and I haven't seen anyone other than the Gnome devs object to the
> idea. Would this be feasible?

As the maintainer and use of this extension,  I don't think Fedora
should be installing extensions by default. As a general principle,  if
some extension is so popular that it must be installed by default to
provide a better experience for end user,  this functionality must be
merged in GNOME Shell directly.    Extensions are great for more fringe
functionality or to prototype new features but they shouldn't be
installed by default typically.   From what I hear in the desktop
summit,  Owen Taylor seems to be interested in providing a power off
option directly for the next version of GNOME and that should solve this
particular concern

Rahul