Release critiera proposal: reword the EFI criterion and, for F17, move it to Alpha

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 19:52:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> So while I was discussing an EFI issue with Peter Jones we noticed that
> the current release criterion dealing with EFI installs could be
> improved. It's a Beta criterion, and it reads:
>
> "The installer must boot and run on systems using EFI other than Apple
> Macs"
>
> The wording 'boot and run' is a bit odd, what we really want is to be
> able to complete an installation, so propose:
>
> "In most cases (see Blocker_Bug_FAQ), the installer must boot, run, and
> be capable of installing a correct bootloader configuration on systems
> using EFI other than Apple Macs. The installed system must boot
> successfully via EFI"
>
> We'd also like to propose moving the criterion to Alpha for F17: EFI is
> becoming progressively more important over time and will continue to do
> so. Peter says over 50% of currently shipping server systems use EFI by
> default. We think F17 is the appropriate timeframe to make EFI an Alpha
> requirement.

I would agree with that. At work (telco enterprise hosting) 100% of
our new physical servers are EFI based and have been for 12 months or
more. By the end of the month VMWare vSphere 5 will be out and it
moves to a virtual EFI instead of vBIOS (will have a test platform as
soon as I get time!) so I think its no critical.

Peter