Introduction

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Tue Feb 1 18:29:50 UTC 2011

On 02/01/2011 09:44 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 02/01/2011 03:24 PM, Tim Flink wrote:
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> My name is Tim Flink and I just joined Red Hat to work on Fedora QA.
>> I've been a Fedora user since Fedora 5 but haven't been involved in the
>> community until now.
>>
>> My recent experience has been in storage device testing and test
>> automation framework development with an emphasis on Linux and VMWare
>> integration. I will initially be working on AutoQA development but I
>> imagine that my role will evolve over time.
>>
>> I'm really excited to be joining the Fedora community and I'm looking
>> forward to working with you all!
>>
>> Tim
>
> Welcome to the rocky ride of rawhide ;)
>
> Oh and please share a bit how you did perform storage testing :)
>
> perhaps we can put your expertise to good use within the project on
> other areas than AutoQA ;)
>
> JBG

Well, I figure everything is at least somewhat unstable while testing.
I'm used to the OS being stable while testing the storage system, so
rawhide will be a bit of an adjustment.

Almost all of the work I was doing was on an internal test automation
framework but the testing I did do was mostly on FC storage and some
iSCSI. That testing was done at a system level which used mostly
customer-available tools and triage methods. We were generally using
internal or proprietary, device-specific tools but most of the tests
went something like:
  - start load
  - run test
  - check for errors (data corruption, path/device issues, etc.)
  - gather debug data, if needed

The areas that I have at least some experience in are:
  - FibreChannel switches (mostly newer Brocade and Cisco)
  - DeviceMapper
  - iSCSI
  - Storage system load generation (Hazard, Medusa)
  - Java (mostly java6)
  - Maven2
  - Java frameworks (Wicket, EasyMock, TestNG, Hibernate, Enunciate)
  - Web Services (in Java, mostly RESTful, some SOAP consumer)
  - Kickstart
  - Basic RPM dev

Other than iSCSI, Kickstart and RPM, I'm not sure how useful any of that
would be to the Fedora community but I might be missing something. I'd
be willing to entertain any ideas you had, though.

Tim