[Test-Announce] Fedora 15 Alpha TC2 Available Now!

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 10:12:11 UTC 2011

On 02/16/2011 02:45 AM, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>>> option in Gnome menu.
>> >
>> >  That is a, ahem, policy decision.
> Hi, Adam,
>
> Could you say some more about the policy decision or point to a msg or
> whatever.  Need to understand what is going on.
Bring up this questionable UI Design up on the desktop list.

It beginning to become more and more apparent that the Gnome developers
forgot to sprinkle some experience wisdom and common sense into the
Gnome UI Designers when they went off the charts as they have done with
this decisions.

I think one triple U distribution that exist out there more or less
succession is based on fixing those UI Design Bugs that upstream Gnome
UI Designers get wrong which seems to be Gnomes upstream Achilles' heel
they get soo many things right but then screw it over minor nuances that
irritates the end user so much he stops using it and or chooses a
distribution that ships workaround hacks for those nuances..

If the Gnome Desktop was not the distributions "Default" and the Gnome
Desktop Team was treated and acted equally to any other SIG I would
point you to their relevant meeting or discussion on the mailing list
but since that does not exist I cant.

One of the pitfalls of having a "Default" is that community surrounding
the "Default" has something to say in what's being shipped and in this
case it just so happens to be majority of our existing user base and
unfortunately the Gnome Desktop Team has had a bit history ignoring
existing user base and jump to the other side where the grass is greener
chasing girl scouts and the end of the rainbow unfortunately it looks
like the board has taken that attitude as well.

We could I suppose setup a wiki page that gathers all those questionable
UI design decisions along with patches for those designers bugs and
start patching it here downstream with or without the Gnome Desktop Team
consent ( which most likely they would object since they are more or
less upstream ) however that would go against our whole upstream mantra
and ofcourse is not the smartest thing to do but might be necessary to
keep our users happy.

But before taking any workaround steps talk to the maintainers on the
desktop list they are present and responsive and with luck they can
*convince* the UI designers that perhaps it's better to keep something
still around like for example the ability to reboot as people have been
doing since the dawn of personal computer.

Note I dont think any upstream UI designers are present/subscribed on
that list..

I'm expecting FESCO to hold the same standards as they set and did with
systemd since this affects majority of Fedora userbase and is the
"Default" thus affects majority of our users and significantly
proportion of the reputation of the project and if Gnome3 does not
satisfy that standard they deem it not ready and postpone it to F16 and
we ship Gnome2 with F15.

The work around is obvious open up a terminal and reboot as is the other
one for many of those design bug open up terminal and run gconf/dconf
editor..

The ability to reboot is still present in GDM for now at least.

JBG