[Test-Announce] Fedora 15 Alpha TC2 Available Now!

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Wed Feb 16 13:52:02 UTC 2011

On 02/16/2011 12:25 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 21:45 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>>>
>>> We definitely need reports on such 'odd' (i.e. not US ASCII...)
>>> character set issues, i18n issues etc - can you double-check it and file
>>> the issue if it's reproducible? Thanks.

>>> That is a, ahem, policy decision.
>>
>> Hi, Adam,
>>
>> Could you say some more about the policy decision or point to a msg or
>> whatever.  Need to understand what is going on.
>
> It was discussed during the Test Day. I don't have a web reference for
> this exact issue, but the position of the design team is that they think
> the only common use case for rebooting is to boot into a different
> operating system in a multi-boot configuration, and they want to handle
> that as a special case somehow (a direct 'reboot to Windows' option has
> been suggested). They don't believe there are any sufficiently common
> use cases for rebooting other than that one to justify the added
> complexity of providing it as an option. (Desktop team, please correct
> me if I'm representing this wrong).

Well, I reboot after every kernel update, every time there are numerous
updates from the repos, when debugging and testing changes to gdm,
dracut, systemd, networking, and on-and-on.

I am somehow now reminded of the early days of software design (I go
back to second gen mainframes) when we sat in a room and designed
software the way we thought it should be and then cursed the users who
complained it wasn't the way they wanted it.  Heaven forbid that we even
considered an upfront requirements definition phase that included the
user community.  Of course, we blamed users for the additional costs
involved in "correcting" errors late in the projects and after they were
implemented.

I am optimistic, however, since the Fedora project seems to always,
somehow, make the right, even unpopular, decisions concerning features.
I.e., deferring systemd to F15 late in the F14 cycle.

I suppose gnome is too far down the path now to consider deferring it to
F16?  Is it even possible?

--
Regards,
OldFart