gnome-applets and rawhide updates

Jonathan Corbet corbet-ft at lwn.net
Thu Feb 17 23:27:16 UTC 2011

So, it's been a while since I've been able to update my rawhide desktop
and see what breaks - long enough that I've forgotten the pain and want to
feel it again.  The blocking factor should be familiar to many:

Error: Package: 1:gnome-applets-2.32.0-3.fc15.x86_64 (@rawhide)
           Requires: libpanel-applet-2.so.0()(64bit)
           Removing: gnome-panel-libs-2.31.92-1.fc15.x86_64 (@rawhide)
               libpanel-applet-2.so.0()(64bit)
           Updated By: gnome-panel-libs-2.91.6-5.fc15.x86_64 (rawhide)
               Not found

Now I understand thus we panel users are supposed to move out of the stone
age and bow before our gnome-shell overlords.  I'd like to give it a try,
but attempts to install gnome-shell run into the same roadblock.

My question: is the only way forward here to obliterate any trace of the
panel and applets from my system and commit to the gnome-shell experience
for once and for all?  Or might there be a way to keep both on my system
for a little while until I'm sure I can function under gnome-shell?

Thanks,

jon