Running abrt-cli in live isos for graphics test days?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 13:59:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:

> It may be possible to try to run the live iso but mount a partition on
> the HD (not normally mounted when running the live iso), and then link
> it from /var/cache or /var/spool in some way that will give sufficient
> memory so that abrt can pull in all the files it needs to a directory
> on the key (rather than RAM), and then analyse the coredump to create
> a backtrace - but I have not had time to explore that route - the test
> systems I am using have f14 installed and are in normal daily use -

I am not sure I worded that last post well -

What I meant was that if RAM was the limiting issue when abrt needed
lots of space then somehow giving it more by either mounting and
linking a directory (writeable) on the key itself, or on the local HD,
to where the large necessary debug files are written, then maybe this
would allow abrt-cli to continue to completion without crashing the
entire machine.

As soon as I had the premature termination when trying to run
abrt-cli, the system would "appear" to be running but then typing any
command after that in the console seemed to just respond "segmentation
fault" even though the terminal would take input - the same response
was given to the command "shutdown -h now" at that point too on both
the machines I tried to do this on.

The conclusion I drew at that point was that memory had run out - and
it looked like the kernel was panicked - I could of course be wrong!

--
mike c