gnome-shell???

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Feb 28 06:50:39 UTC 2011

On 02/28/2011 07:06 AM, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 23:03, Adam Williamson<awilliam at redhat.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2011-02-26 at 12:50 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>> rawhide/
>>>
>>> Maybe. gdm just got a widget that allows picking a desktop. F15 RC2 was
>> just
>>> built and is expected to pass validation for the alpha release. So things
>>> are in reasonable shape.
>>
>> Alpha RC was built from the frozen dist-f15 tree, not from
>> updates-testing. After updating my desktop to updates-testing, both gdm
>> and GNOME are broken for me; gdm crashing in a loop
>

> killall accounts-daemon; according to halfline he has already prepared a
> fix.
>

>> , running 'startx'
>> from a vt just gives me a blank background. I'm posting this from Xfce.
>>

> Don't know the root cause but using the fallback force method posted by
> mclasen will get you in to fallback mode until it's fixed.

FWIW, the venerable Aunt Tillie is going to find the "pop the hood but
it might void your warranty" option a bit tough. On my box (ATI Radeon
9600), the gnome-shell is able to start, but trying to launch anything
at all - including the "system info" thing to select the forced fallback
- makes the system freeze solid on the spot.

I was able to figure out the IsRunnableHelper=/bin/false trick on my
own, but a new user would've been seriously stuck: if you can't even get
to the browser to google for workarounds, and don't happen to own a
second computer which you can use...

Yes I'll file bugs and yadda, but the bottom line is: there's no way you
(not directed to you Jason) can know beforehand whether every single
fiddly piece of hardware Gnome 3 will be thrown onto works with
gnome-shell or not. A directly selectable fallback session from the gdm
menu would've been helpful - call it "failsafe mode" or whatever.
Automatic first-time tracking would've worked too: if gnome-shell starts
but is not cleanly shut down, offering the fallback on second attempt
would give the newbie user something workable without cli-hacks that
would be way beyond them.

	- Panu -