gnome-shell???

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Feb 28 07:12:00 UTC 2011

On 02/28/2011 08:25 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 23:06 -0600, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
>

>>          , running 'startx'
>>          from a vt just gives me a blank background. I'm posting this
>>          from Xfce.
>>
>> Don't know the root cause but using the fallback force method posted
>> by mclasen will get you in to fallback mode until it's fixed.
>
> The root cause turned out to be at-spi2 breakage. Again.
>
> I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but this:

[...]
> really doesn't make me happy. See caillon's comment starting "Note that
> in order to get things working, one needs to disable a11y" - which makes
> it clear that he knows, unless you manually disable a feature by using
> an arcane command or by removing a package, GNOME will fail to run at
> all...yet he gives the update +1 karma? This really isn't how the update
> approval system is supposed to work. If you (corporate 'you', Fedora
> desktop team) know about such a critical bug, you should fix it and edit
> the update. Unless this gets fixed soon, we are in a state where anyone
> who installs the Alpha and does an update will find their system
> apparently utterly broken (it boots to a crashing gdm and if you boot to
> 'runlevel 3' and do startx, GNOME fails to run). I know we're in early
> pre-release state and we don't guarantee anything, but it doesn't really
> excuse submitting and then pushing to 'stable' code you know to be badly
> broken.

I upgraded my home box to F15-pre-alpha over the weekend, first with yum
and when the result was a utterly broken heap thought oh well it's the
unsupported way, then reinstalled from scratch and got the very same
broken heap... and couldn't help thinking "we're about to release THIS??"

Anaconda seems to default to enabling updates-testing, so unless the
testing-repo is in a reasonable shape at the time of alpha release
there's going to be a lot of grumpy testers.

	- Panu -