What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 19:16:59 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-01-22 at 12:43 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:51:20 -0500,
>>   Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > Yes, it starts gnome-shell, unless your system is not capable of running
>> > it, in which case it starts gnome-panel+metacity.
>>
>> I did a yum upgrade from F14 to rawhide a month or so ago and have been doing
>> contunuous updates since then. Nothing seems to have dragged in gnome-shell.
>> It's probably worth thinking about a way to it installed for people doing
>> yum upgrades from F13 or F14. I am not sure if using preupgrade has the same
>> issue or not.
>
> That is a good point. We should perhaps add a gnome-session ->
> gnome-shell dependency.

Please don't. There's a lot of devices that can't run gnome-shell but
can run the gnome 2 configuration perfectly. With dependencies like
that on devices with small amounts of space you end up with a lot of
extra stuff you don't want or need. There must some other way to
achieve it for those that want it without forcing those that can't
have or don't want it to have unnecessary isssues and deps.

Given that "yum upgrade" isn't a fully supported method for upgrade I
don't see any issue with documenting that they then need to do a "yum
groupinstall gnome3" as the documented ways of doing yum upgrade have
always suggested to do similar to get new apps that weren't previously
installed.

Peter