Remote applications in gnome-shell

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Sat Jul 2 08:39:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

> On 07/01/2011 10:54 AM, Adam Pribyl wrote:
>> Does someone know how to start remote applications in/from gnome-shell
>> via ssh -X from remote machine? Most of apps I try to start from remote
>
> Does it work when you use ssh -Y - -X has not worked for many applications in
> years (FC4-ish?) since it requests untrusted X11 forwarding subject to the X11
> SECURITY extension restrictions (see man ssh and the discussion of -X/-Y and
> ForwardX11Trusted).
>
> Be aware of the fact that you are trusting the remote machine when you use -Y -
> it is possible for a malicious user on that system to attack your local X server
> via the forwarded connection.
>
> That said though, this is working for me between f15 and older releases and vice
> versa with both -X and -Y.
>
>> machine, complains about dbus and dies, or just plainly does not start. I
>> can start xterm or xclock, but e.g. gnome-terminal can not. I
>> know remote desktop sharing works only in fallback mode. So it is also not
>
> Desktop sharing works fine here in native gnome-shell mode. There are a few
> visual glitches but it is usable.
>
>> possible to run any remote application? Or is this some dbus feature?
>
> Can you post the output? What release(s) are you seeing this with?

Thanks for your answer. This helps me to look whats wrong with my test
system. I found there is something wrong with dbus as I am missing there
a dbus-launch --autolaunch process. Then apps just say something like:
** (gedit:7655): WARNING **: Could not connect to session bus

So far I was not able to find why this happens.

> Regards,
> Bryn.

Adam Pribyl