Oh no, something went wrong!

Jonathan Corbet corbet-ft at lwn.net
Tue Jul 5 15:51:43 UTC 2011

Seeing the black screen of death with $SUBJECT is becoming an increasingly
common part of my rawhide experience; today's update brought it back again.
Would it really be too hard for it to way *what* went wrong?  I did manage
to find an error in .xsession-errors - but only, of course, if I looked
before logging in with fallback mode.  It shouldn't be that hard.

The error, anyway, seems to be this (several times):

    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"("Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '3.0', but '3.1' is already loaded")@gjs_throw:0
@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:18
"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '3.0', but '3.1' is already loaded"'
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '3.0', but '3.1' is already loaded
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"gjs_throw"'

I'm running gnome-shell-3.0.2-4.fc16.x86_64.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

jon