Instalatron: Anaconda testing framework

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Jul 20 14:40:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 10:17 -0400, David Cantrell wrote:
> On 07/20/2011 08:50 AM, Sergio Rubio wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Hongqing Yang<hoyang at redhat.com>  wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi, Sergio,
> >
> > Hi Hongqing,
> >

> >> Thanks for sharing. Now I and Tao Wu are working on the project Fedora installation test automation.
> >> The project is based on the Autotest framework and part of the AutoQA project.
> >> Now it is using qemu-kvm and the test results are read from the logs. The installations from url,
> >> DVD, hard drive and upgrade are almost finished, we try to implement all the tests roughly first, so we can
> >> use them at the usual tests, more details will be done later.
> >> I think we also will adopt screen-shot in future, since we cannot see the errors of UIs from logs.
> >
> > I'm eagerly waiting to have a look at that project. Any ETA or
> > something that I can have a look at?
> >
> >> I saw you compare the images in the codes, but which are images should the screen-shots compare with
> >> when one new product is released?
> >
> > If Anaconda UI has not changed a lot, you can just copy the script
>
> Just a heads up, the anaconda UI will be changing a lot:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/UX_Redesign
>
> and:
>
> http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/category/fedora/anaconda/

While analyzing screenshots to determine coordinates for keyboard/mouse
events does in fact work.  In practice, I think it becomes a horrible
maintenance nightmare since graphics, fonts, themes, icons, colors are
always changing.  It certainly is cool technology, but I'd recommend
using it in limited instances where at-spi cannot, or does not, offer
improved functionality (aka use as a last resort).

Thanks,
James