Instalatron: Anaconda testing framework

Sergio Rubio rubiojr at frameos.org
Wed Jul 20 15:00:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 4:40 PM, James Laska <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:

> While analyzing screenshots to determine coordinates for keyboard/mouse
> events does in fact work.  In practice, I think it becomes a horrible
> maintenance nightmare since graphics, fonts, themes, icons, colors are
> always changing.  It certainly is cool technology, but I'd recommend
> using it in limited instances where at-spi cannot, or does not, offer
> improved functionality (aka use as a last resort).

Definitely. I agree.

Instalatron was designed for our Anaconda fork, where code does change
a lot, but UI does not change very often.
That being said, recording a new session takes from 5 to 10 minutes
with some practice.

In any case, I believe that rewriting the test script automatically to
support a new theme if UI behaviour (i.e. keyboard navigation) has not
changed can be easily acomplished.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, my head is now full of new ideas to implement :).

Rgds.