Any hope for system-config-services ?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 03:34:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 23:10 +0100, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

> > "Typically Fedora isn't used a server"
> >
> > Really?
>
> Well, it's working pretty well for me on my NAS and dhcp/tftp/nameserver/general
> boxes at home.
>
> Ymmv but I've been using Fedora on servers since FC1 - I might chose another
> distribution for things that I want to deploy long-term or for special cases
> like my router but personally (and given the way I manage the boxes at home) I
> don't have any major problems.
>
> Yes, there is change and yes, I will sometimes need to learn new things but in
> general the skills I gain figuring out a change in Fedora soon become useful on
> a much broader range of distros (that's something that's been true all the way
> back to Red Hat Linux to be honest).

On a 'theory of argument' note: "not typically used as a server" does
not mean the same thing as "never used as a server" (and moreover, was
clearly carefully worded that way). Given that, anecdotal instances of
"but I use it as a server!" don't really serve to further the argument
in a concrete way.

I think we had some pretty useful responses noting alternative ways to
manage systemd and plans to improve s-c-s which I think addressed the
initial concerns pretty well, right?