F15 "services" can't enable nfs or vsftpd

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Wed Jun 8 11:53:42 UTC 2011

On 06/08/2011 01:58 AM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 06/08/2011 12:54 AM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>> The headline says it all.  They have to be started in rc.local
>
> Your headline is very cryptic and is for a stable version of Fedora,
> which is best served on the users[1] list. I recommend you post
> additional background information about your problem in a new thread on
> the users[1] list.

  This list is fine for updates and testing updates for stable too .. as
has been mentioned a few times. Tho it is not clear from the post if
there are any updates involved here ... :-)

  You prev post on sendmail is likely the same issue.

  F15 uses systemd which unfortunately seems not to work quite right for
starting some services - and I have seen no responses from the author
when these problems were brought up in earlier posts - there are bug
reports filed - many remain in tatus NEW - you should probably file or
append to the appropriate bugzilla.

  After being highly visible arguing why systemd was ready and largely
bug free and in heavy use for a long time and should be used in F14
(which I for one am glad it is not) the author has been largely absent
from the mailing lists.

  The best advice seems to be

    (a) Stay with f14, skip f15 and see where things are in 6 months

   (b)  Use rc.local (which seems to work) to run a script which starts
all the services by hand (so to speak) which dont otherwise start properly.

    Most I know have chosen (a) and some are also adding newer kernels
to F14. If you have Sandy Bridge computers you'll need newer kernels and
newer xorg/mesa as well.

Good luck.