gnome-shell in fc15...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 02:51:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 02:40 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 17:15 -0800, Rob Healey wrote:
> >> Greetings and good evening!
> >>
> >> I would like to know if there has been a globally accepted fix for the
> >> gnome-shell and gdm problem of either not working or the flashing gdm
> >> problems yet???
> >
> > Again, vague questions do not lead to satisfactory answers. It sounds
> > like you're hitting a crash in gdm and also in Shell. I would recommend
> > you look through the bugs filed against each recently, and also
> > discussed on this list, and see if you can identify which ones you are
> > suffering from. Then you can follow those reports to see when they are
> > fixed.
>
> I think he's referring to the fact that GDM currently doesn't allow
> use of anything other than gnome

I don't think so. He said 'flashing'. That's typically a sign of it
crashing, since it auto-respawns; so if it crashes on startup, you see
it flickering as it starts up, crashes, starts up, crashes, starts up,
crashes...

>  (IE I don't believe it gives you a
> drop down list of the desktop environment to allow you to choose
> multiple options). It was discussed, I believe on the desktop list,
> and it was said that the removed feature would be added back prior to
> the final stable release of gnome shell.

It already has been added back, but I believe the updated package is
only in updates-testing, it did not make the Alpha freeze.