On making a proper kernel for gnome-shell

Jonathan Corbet corbet-ft at lwn.net
Fri Mar 11 21:45:29 UTC 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:24:43 -0500
Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:

>  > So I'm mystified.  Any ideas?  Might there be some magic in the Fedora
>  > initrd that I'm missing (I've never used initrd on my systems)?
>
> An easy test would be to actually build one for your test kernel.
> make install should do it all automatically for you.

Tried it - no change.

I've encountered a strange clue, though.  I looked at the differences in
glxinfo output between the Fedora and mainline 38-rc8 kernels; of most
interest, perhaps, is this.  The Fedora kernel tells me:

	OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
	OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Q35 GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT
	OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.10-devel

Mainline kernel tells me this:

	OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
	OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe
	OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10-devel

Something tells me that this difference probably has some bearing on my
little problem.

xdriinfo just tells me "i915" either way.  No user space changes between
the two.

I'm trying to learn quickly about how all this stuff works, but, if
anybody has any ideas that might help me learn even quicker, I'd be most
appreciative.

Thanks,

jon