Desktop problems with F15-Alpha

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 12:13:24 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Joachim Backes
<joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> On 03/14/2011 10:41 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> On 03/14/2011 02:56 PM, Joachim Backes wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I installed F15-Alpha (x86_64). Then I switched to the fallback (system
>>> settings->system info->graphics->forced fallback mode) for getting the
>>> old gnome desktop behaviour (for some reasons).
>>>
>>> But now having different problems:
>>>
>>> 1. After installing nautilus and nautilus-open-terminal, klicking with
>>> the right mouse pointer on the desktop does not start a gnome-terminal
>>> as in previous Fedore versions.
>>>
>>> 2. I cannot change the preferences for a gnome-panel.
>>>
>>> 3. Adding applications to a gnome-panel is not possible.
>>
>> My understanding is that, all three are intended behaviour since the
>> panel you see in fallback mode is not the GNOME 2.x equivalent but one
>> intended to mimic the behaviour of GNOME Shell as much as possible.
>>
>>> I have to mention that I copied my complete home directory from F14 to
>>> the F15 home. Is it possible that the usage of my F14 home directory
>>> (gnome, no gnome-shell) is not recommended in F15?
>>
>> This isn't the problem
>>
>> Rahul
>>

> Thanks for clarification. But then, I see no reasonable usage for
> nautilus-open-terminal (for example). Why is it installable in F15, if
> it seems to be unnecessary and superfluous?

It's not ... it has never been about "open from the desktop" but "open
a terminal in the current directory" which should still work,

As for the panel you can change stuff but instead of a simple right
click you need to hold down 'Alt' and then right click.