how to replace gnome-shell with a different window manager?

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Mar 14 20:40:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 14:51, James Ralston
<qralston+ml.redhat-fedora-test at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> /usr/bin/sawfish as my window manager, instead of
> /usr/bin/gnome-shell?

gnome-shell is the WM, the panel provider and the notification daemon
so you need all three to replace it. That means you need Fallback
Mode. Sawfish is not up to the task, alone.

User menu > System Settings > System Info > Graphics > Force Fallback Mode.

Once you've done that, you might be able to replace Metacity with
Sawfish but I would be surprised if it worked well.