How to increase the number of gnome-shell workspaces in F15?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 06:39:13 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 07:32 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi all testers,
>
> I have problems to increase the workspace number of gnome-shell in F15:
> I found some advice in the forums: "pressing Activities" will show a +/-
> icon on the bottom of the desktop where the number of desktops may be
> managed.
>
> But I don't see such an +/- icon.
>
> Any other solution?

You should never need to; the Shell simply always behaves so there's
exactly one empty workspace. So when you start a session you have one
workspace. As soon as you run something it goes into that workspace and
you get a second empty workspace. As soon as you put any app into that
empty workspace, a new empty workspace is created. If you remove
everything from any workspace, it will disappear, so there's still only
one empty workspace at the bottom of the list. So, there's never any
need to manually add a new workspace. Pretty neat system.