F15 alpha problem.

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 16:13:21 UTC 2011

On 3/16/11 7:30 AM, James Laska wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 12:09 +0100, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> I've just installed F15 alpha in a virtualbox machine and at the first boot I
>> get a gnome 3 error explaining that it can't be fully initialised because 3D is
>> not supported. I don't know if this is the cause to my problem, which is:
>
> GNOME3 is not expected to work in virtualized environments where
> hardware accelerated graphics are not available.

... yet.  I've made a modest amount of progress to getting it running on
the software GL stack, and I'm hoping to land the changes for that
before the beta change deadline on the 29th.  I've gotten it from
"mutter crashes instantly" to "shell looks fine, windows don't paint
correctly", but I'm still a fair way from having it totally working.

I have no idea what the UI for this will look like once it's working, or
even if I'll have it working in time.  But I'm hoping it'll work as a
tactical measure until we have a sane virt 3d story.

- ajax