Errors in GNOME installer for 2011-03-15 builds

David Lehman dlehman at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 20:15:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 15:18 -0400, Gregory Woodbury wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On 03/16/2011 11:36 AM, Gregory Woodbury wrote:
> > > No traceback or messages that I can see, just a notification that i can't
> > > put
> > > a partition on root.
> >
> > Just to re-iterate (and slightly rephrase) what James said: I believe
> > that the change to anaconda was to disallow assigning '/' to a partition
> > that was not being formatted during the installation process. If the
> > partition was previously formatted, you wouldn't be able to mount it as
> > '/' unless you reformat it as part of the install.
> >
> > Are you using custom or auto partitioning?
> >
> > Are you using pre-existing partitions/logical volumes? If so, does
> > deleting and re-creating those partitions work (assuming you can do so)?
> >

> Yes, it is wanting the partition formatted before letting it be assigned to
> root.
>
> This is rather awkard as the format checkbox is below the mount point box.

You shouldn't get the warning until you click on 'OK', so I don't
understand how this is awkward. Can you elaborate?

> Are we going to recommend a seperate /home?  Should the default layout make
> a /home?

We do default to creating a separate /home when doing automatic
partitioning.

> This is, IIRC the second go around on forcing the root to be formatted.
> What if /home is
> in the root and you don't want to lose it!   Last time we got a notification

If you don't want to lose /home do not put it on the same device
as /. /home is for user data, while / is for system data. Keep it
separate for simplicity of management.

> that the partition
> ought to be formatted, unless there are home directories or something you
> want to keep.
>
> FC13 has this notification, 15 lost it and now wants to force formatting.

Installing on top of an old installation is too problematic to support.

> Two steps back and 1/2 step forward.

It just seems that way because now you have to do some admin work you
didn't do a long time ago. It's well worth the effort.

David