F15 alpha problem.

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Mar 17 14:30:15 UTC 2011

> On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 22:54 +0100, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>
> > Hm, which graphics hardware should I choose that is well supported?
>
> We're doing pretty well with most _real_ (i.e. not VM) cards. Intel is
> probably the safest bet, but most NVIDIA and Radeon adapters seem to be
> working okay, going off the Test Day feedback. You can take a look at
> the individual Test Day results if you want to try and identify specific
> cards that are reported as working or otherwise:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-03-10_GNOME3_Beta
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-03_GNOME3_Alpha
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-22_Nouveau
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-23_Radeon
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-24_Intel
>
> anything outside of the big three we really haven't done much testing on
> and I can't say anything definitive.

To a first approximation, I wouldn't expect any of the DRI1 drivers to
work (i810, sis, mga, rage128, savage, tdfx, unichrome), if for no other
reason than that the max texture size on those tends to top out at
1024x1024, which sort of puts an upper limit on your screen size.  But I
haven't tested whether "doesn't work" means fallback mode or means
crashing in nasty ways.

The only closed-source driver with a non-negligible market share - that
isn't nvidia or fglrx - that you might try this with is Poulsbo.  I
don't remember how their libGL setup works offhand, but if it's like
DRI2 then it might work and you of course get to keep both pieces when
it doesn't.

- ajax