optimizing systemd, was: f15 no longer starts

Michał Piotrowski mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 19:43:55 UTC 2011

W dniu 20 marca 2011 20:30 użytkownik Petrus de Calguarium
<pgueckel at gmail.com> napisał:
> Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>
>> Hmm... I'm not sure if it's reasonable - this will require
>> modification of many systemd services.
>
> I don't know whether modifying services is reasonable

It's _really_ difficult to add systemd service to Fedora and I suspect
that changing existing services also will be difficult.

>, but what is not
> reasonable is for a user no longer to be able to boot his system and not to be
> able to log in after an update. For the less experienced user, this particular
> problem required a reinstallation of the system. For me, a somewhat more savvy
> user, this required using all the skills I had just to avoid reinstallation,
> and only a tip on this list from another affected user to get me out of an
> unsolvable situation.
>
> A possible solution would be to have both updates and updates-testing repos for
> all fedoras, even the not yet released branched fedora. I would prefer not to
> run updates-testing, but I do want to run Fedora-alpha as soon as it is
> available. As it stands at present, updates-testing is automatically enabled,
> whether a user wants it or not, and there is no other way to get updates except
> to keep updates-testing enabled. As I said, I like running the experimental
> system, but updates-testing is a bit to racey for me.

In a stable distribution such situation would not be possible because
of the whole testing procedures etc.

But of course there should be a way to avoid such situation. I hope
that Lennart will find a good way to solve this problem soon.

--
Best regards,
Michal

http://eventhorizon.pl/