f15 no longer starts

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 00:59:41 UTC 2011

Genes MailLists wrote:

>  I'm curious - how does a bad rsyslog package prevent the system from
> booting ? Should it ??
>
>   That feels too brittle to me ... I mean its only logging after all

Ask the experts, not me.

vt1 hung endlessly, with a black screen once the daemons had finally all timed
out, and on vt2+, it was impossible to log in. After typing the password, the
system would hang, and then a 60 second timeout would be noted, and hence, no
login was possible. I was forced to alt-SysRq-re to kill the remaining daemons,
I presume, and then I noticed on vt1 that graphical login was taking place, but
on a ro system, hence config files could not be written to, hence each in turn
generating an error. It was a total disaster and took nearly 30 minutes on an
Intel Core 2 Duo processor.