Proposed release criteria revisions

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 04:08:18 UTC 2011

On 03/29/2011 01:07 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 23:41 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>
>> Added KDE there since it can currently block the release and is
>> presented as an alternative installation option on the DVD.
> So, here's my thinking on this. For all desktop criteria, change the
> wording 'desktop' or 'default desktop' to 'supported desktop(s)', and
> make it a link to a page or section of another page which defines the
> currently supported desktops - which are GNOME and KDE.
>
> thoughts?

Great futureproof and flexible suggestion.

I however think it would be better to skip the word "supported" and just
have "desktop(s)" and the wiki page. ( we can start by listing one or
two desktops and add more later )

As I see it the only support you get is community support ( support
might indicate to some people something more than community support )
and we are a community project and the support does seem to be pretty
even amongst the *DE and the community in general so it comes a bit odd
to me that not all current desktop we have would be listed there and as
they come and go they can be added/removed from that page.

I would not be too surpriced in not to distant future that the dvd
release in it's current form will be depracted and (some) *DE start
releasing their own spesific larger iso images that contain both a live
image with all the bells and whistle they have to offer along with an
installer which you would just choose between at bootup as in boot into
live image or boot into installer or some other solution into that
direction.

I give my ack on the change without the word "support" in it.

JBG