Long systemd pauses mounting local filesystem/swap

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 12:45:25 UTC 2011

I just spent a long and frustrating night trying to recover my system
from what I believed was a complete hang on startup.  It turns out that
it was just pausing for several minutes.

I was finally able to track it down to these two lines in my /etc/fstab:

  UUID=67a74931-48ac-4bdd-91d2-3e788398d472 /boot ext4 defaults 1 2
  /dev/mapper/root_vg-swap_lv               swap  swap defaults 0 0

Commenting out these two lines enables the system to come up at its
usual speed.

I tried using the filesystem LABEL for my /boot filesystem, but that
also caused the delay.

Interestingly, this *does* work:

  /dev/md0             /boot ext4 defaults 1 2
  /dev/root_vg/swap_lv swap  swap defaults 0 0

I'm way too tired to file a decent bug report now, but definitely
wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this.

TIA