f15 and fonts

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun May 1 00:53:15 UTC 2011

I'm continuing to play with f15 beta, and now I'm trying
to keep from getting a headache. Virtually all the fonts
I'm seeing look like they were written with the sharpest
thinnest pen anyone could find. They are totally spindly
and impossible to read without much squinting.

Meanwhile, the gnome-font-properties or gnome-appearance
apps seem to have vanished from the face of f15, so I can't
play with any of the font setting I used to be able to
play with to influence the rendering.

On the ubuntu/fedora battlefront fonts have always seemed
to be a particular weakness of fedora's, but with f15
it seems like the fonts have already waved a white flag
and run away. They are far worse than any of the previous
horrible fonts fedora has defaulted to.

It is particularly bad in the firefox sidebar bookmarks,
but in web pages things look pretty awful as well. Google
search results, for instance, with the blue links drawn
with the thinnest possible lines are almost impossible
to read.