F15 boot problems

cornel panceac cpanceac at gmail.com
Wed May 4 07:42:13 UTC 2011

2011/5/3 James Laska <jlaska at redhat.com>

> On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 21:52 +0200, Robert M. Albrecht wrote:
> > Hi James,

> text
> > >
> > > I have a system where I need to wait what seems like an eternity before
> > > I see progress after the blinking cursor.  If I wait long enough ...
> the
> > > boot proceeds without error.  This assumes we are talking about the
> same
> > > screen.  Is this observed while booting into the installer, or by
> > > booting the installed system?
> >
> > Only when booting into the installer.
> >
> > How long did you wait ? I waited for about 5-10 Minutes. Too short ?
>
> I think mine took somewhere between 2-4 minutes.  Perhaps give it a
> *good* 15 minutes.  That's obviously not idea, but I'm curious if it
> eventually does response.  What type of system is this?
>
> Anyone else have debugging suggestions for Robert?  Perhaps some kernel
> args that might help.
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> i would definitely start with removing "rhgb quiet" from grub kernel line,
as you previously suggested. of course, if the timeout in grub.conf is zero,
and hiddenmenu is set, then additional  problems may occur. even more
complicated is a case where the keyboard is connected by usb, since grub is
famous for mostly ignoring the usb keyboards. but let's see what happens
after removing rhgb and quiet.
btw, grub.conf can be modified offline using install media's rescue mode or
any recent linux live cd.