release criteria revisions

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 9 19:28:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 13:35 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2011 13:20:18 -0400
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > > No application may unintentionally appear twice in the menus. In particular,
> > > items under System must not appear under Applications
> >
> > This basically does not apply to the shell overview.
>
> What about applications that merely look as if they appear multiple
> times like "Terminal" and "Terminal" or "Emacs" and "Emacs client"? :-)

It'd be nice to fix those, but I'm not sure it's blocker-worthy.
Additionally there's few if any of those in a stock install; the most
famous I guess is gnome-terminal vs. lxterminal, but you only hit that
if you install both GNOME and LXDE (or manually add one of those
packages to an install which only has the other).

> Personally, I'd love to see a release blocker that said you have
> to have an "Info" item in the right click menu so you could determine
> what on earth an app might do before you actually run it....

That's also not appropriate release validation process material, as it's
a design decision on the part of the desktops.