RC2 hangs trying to boot

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Fri May 13 16:27:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 09:09 -0700, Per Bothner wrote:
> I get the grub flash screen centered on the display
> (looks like 800 pixels wide out of 1920 wide native resolution).
> I can enter grub commands etc fine.  When I boot I get
>
> Trying to allocate 941 pages from VMLINUZ2
> [Linux-EFI, setup=0x101e, size=0x3ac3101]
>    [Initrd, addr=0x79ce2000, size=0x5e1a6e0]
>
> and then it hangs.
>
> Same problem using both the full DVD (burned to a DVD) and
> a Live CD (nightly from a few days ago, on a USB stick).
>
> My grub-fu is pretty limited, but if someone has suggestions
> they would be appreciated.
>
> This is on a semi-new Sandy Bridge laptop.  I successfully ran
> pre-F15 for a couple of weeks until the SSD died.  I got a
> replacement SSD (under warranty), and successfully installed
> Windows 7, and am now trying to install Fedora.
>
> (It is possible there may be other hardware issues - ejecting a
> CD is difficult, and Windows complains about errors trying to
> eject.  However, I am able to boot the i386 live Alpha, from
> a DVD.)

Check your kernel boot parameters, make sure you aren't redirecting
console output to another device (console=).

The initrd.img in Fedora 15 is considerably larger than previous
releases.  Allow the kernel some time to load the image.  Walk away for
5 minutes or so.  Maybe we'll get lucky, and it just needed more time.

Check your BIOS for any funky console redirection.  Try booting
different milestones (Alpha, Beta) or releases (Fedora 14, 13 ...) to
find something that works.  If you can't find anything that works, I'd
be suspect of local hardware or configuration.  If you find something
that does work ... we can work backwards to see when it started failing.

I'm poking around to see if there are any other debugging options,
because if console redirection isn't the problem, I'm out of ideas :(

Thanks,
James