Release criteria updates: desktop question

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 17 22:40:21 UTC 2011

Hey, folks. Some release criteria stuff!

I've created the F16 criteria pages, copied across from F15. I added
some criteria we agreed on back in October 2010 to the Final page;
somehow we managed not to add these onto the F15 page, but they're in
there now. Those are:

* The final release notes (in both branded and generic form) from the
Documentation team must be present in the release repository in packaged
form
* A spin-kickstarts package which contains the exact kickstart files
used to build the release must be present in the release repository. The
included kickstarts must define the correct set of release repositories
* A fedora-release package and a generic-release package appropriately
versioned and containing the correct names, information and repository
configuration for a final Fedora release (as opposed to a pre-release)
must be present in the release repository

I also added the recently-agreed logger criterion to the Alpha page:

* A system logging infrastructure must be available and enabled by
default. It must provide at least basic local file-based logging of
kernel messages, and allow other components to write log messages. This
must be done in accordance with relevant standards accepted by the
Project

Finally, I have a new proposal for the issue of 'supported' desktops,
which is blocking another planned criterion that we've been meaning to
add for a while. I'm now proposing the term 'release-blocking desktops':
it's simple, it does what it says on the tin, and it doesn't imply any
value judgments about the desktops in question. How does that sound?

So all current reference to 'desktop' or 'the desktop' would be replaced
by 'release-blocking desktops', and the proposed image size criterion
would read:

* The network installation image, DVD image, and live images for
release-blocking desktops must meet current size requirements

Feedback please! :) For reference, the new F16 pages are:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_16_Alpha_Release_Criteria
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_16_Beta_Release_Criteria
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_16_Final_Release_Criteria