Release criteria updates: desktop question

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 17 23:29:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 23:17 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > Finally, I have a new proposal for the issue of 'supported' desktops,
> > which is blocking another planned criterion that we've been meaning to
> > add for a while. I'm now proposing the term 'release-blocking desktops':
> > it's simple, it does what it says on the tin, and it doesn't imply any
> > value judgments about the desktops in question. How does that sound?
> >
> > So all current reference to 'desktop' or 'the desktop' would be replaced
> > by 'release-blocking desktops', and the proposed image size criterion
> > would read:
> >
> > * The network installation image, DVD image, and live images for
> > release-blocking desktops must meet current size requirements
> >

> Great :)
>
> Now we just to have to decide which desktop spins are release blocking
> desktops.

No, 'we' don't. For the tenth time, that is not a decision QA makes, nor
is it a part of the release criteria process. I really wish you'd stop
trying to expand these threads.

> Are we talking about all desktop spins we have?
>
> If not which ones?

Right now, the release-blocking desktops are GNOME (in its capacity as
the default desktop) and KDE. It is not QA's job to decide this, and
it's not the release criteria's job to quantify it.