[Test-Announce] Fedora 16 Final Release Declared GOLD!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 18:51:11 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-04 at 09:18 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 12:50:43 +0100,
>   Patrick Lists <fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > On 11/04/2011 07:32 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > So to summarize: we're testing more, to higher standards, on a release
> > > that had extremely disruptive changes, with fewer paid RH staff involved
> > > than before. It was a bit of a perfect storm!
> >
> > And the result is something you can all be proud of! Thank you and
> > everybody involved for your hard work to get F16 done - on time - in
> > spite of all the big changes and challenges you faced. Truly remarkable.
>
> As noted in other threads, the release was really two weeks late. There were
> one week slips added at alpha and beta.

Yep, indeed: we still haven't shipped a release entirely on schedule
yet. Let's do it one day! :) I think two weeks of slip on a release as
complex as F16 isn't bad, though.

> I think F16 is clearly better than F15. (Refuseniks might still prefer
> F14 for Gnome 2 and/or avoiding systemd.)

I honestly suspect we're still going to hit some corner cases with the
gpt and grub2 stuff that we've either not found yet or found but not
considered blockers. There's just too much damn hardware out there. We
actually already know about a few boards which will need people to use
the 'nogpt' parameter to get a successful install, for e.g. But I think
the _stuff_ in 16 is great.

> F17 is looking to be better still. If I am understanding a message on the
> Anaconda list we will probably be able to installs on systems with 256 MB
> of ram again.

Definitely we'll be able to get the RAM requirements back down, which is
awesome. I think for F16 we could really have cut the anaconda hard
limit down to 640MB at least, but things were so busy we never got the
time to just run a few installs and establish a safe floor.

> Anaconda is supposed to get a UI improvement. Open source
> graphics will support all of OpenGL 3.0. More services will be natively
> using systemd. Gnome should be getting another iterative improvement.

And we'll have software 3D Shell, which is awesome. (And makes testing
easier too! :>)