release note suggestion: UID Range Change

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Sat Nov 5 04:07:07 UTC 2011

>users can renumber user files by:
>   (1) chown --from OLD_OWNER:OLD_GROUP NEW_OWNER:NEW_GROUP /

I think a --recursive option may be needed in the chown command.

There are thorns in these bushes.  It is not only user and group ids in
new systems that must change:  this change will upset permissions for
files in other systems accessed by NFS, or other schemes that use uid and
gid values for access control.  When uid 501 is changed to uid 1001, this
may have to be synchronized on multiple systems that contain files for
that user.

It does not end there.  I have years of archived (back-up) data volumes,
with id values in the 500-999 range, that I expect to induce hiccups
when this old data is accessed.

There are sound reasons to bump user ids to start at 1000.  Eventually,
the pain will go away.